Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Zucchini!!

It is zucchini season and I have been getting a lot in my Produce Box (see previous blog for Produce Box info).  What I love about my Produce Box is that is challenges me to find new recipes to cook stuff I may not normally buy at the store.  The other week I got some very large zucchini and made zucchini parmesan which was quite delicious.  Will considers himself a carnivore and was a little skeptical because there was no meat but he really liked it.  I got the recipe from the allrecipes app which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!  Here is the link to the recipe I used although I made some small changes.  Zucchini Parmesan

Last week I got like 6 more zucchini and groaned a little.  What was I going to do with MORE zucchini?  Zucchini bread!  I have had zucchini bread before but never tried to make it.  I found a recipe (on allrecipes of course: Zucchini Bread ) and made a couple small changes based on some of the reviewers comments and personal preferences.  Here is my recipe:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsps ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsps vanilla extract
3 cups grated zucchini (grating the zucchini was not nearly as hard as I though it would be)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a large bowl
  3. Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugars together in large bowl. Add sifted ingredients and beat well.  Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined.  Pour into 2 greased and floured (or spray with PAM with flour) bread loaf pans
  4. Bake for 40-60 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes our clean
Someone (thanks for the tip Lauren John Russell) suggested I put blueberries in it so I tried this in one of the loaves.  I had some blueberries from my Produce Box so I threw those in before putting the batter in the pan.  About 1/4-1/2 cup. This is the one that I tried and it is delicious!  I put the other one in the freezer.  Here they are cooling. My sizes were not so even.  The small one took about 45 minutes to cook and the bigger one took closer to 60.
YUMMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment